Fortunately, snoring treatment is available in the form of a comfortable mouthpiece that you wear while sleeping. To talk to a Columbia dentist about this snoring treatment, please call (803) 781-9090 or email Smile Columbia Dentistry today for an appointment.
What Causes Snoring
The cause of snoring is easy to understand. During the day, when you are awake, your airway is held open by gravity and by muscle activity. This allows air to flow through easily and soundlessly. At night, when you lie down and go to sleep, your muscles relax and the pull of gravity can cause your airway to narrow. When your airway narrows, the flow of air becomes turbulent, vibrating the tissues of your throat, which is the sound you hear.
If your airway actually closes during sleep, it cuts off your supply of air, what is known as sleep apnea.
Snoring treatment is also easy to understand. At night, the tissues of your airway have only one rigid support structure: your jaw. Using a specially designed mouthpiece, we can ensure your jaw remains in a position that will ensure your airway stays more open, resulting in less turbulent airflow, which means less audible snoring and a better night’s sleep for everyone.
- We may also recommend lifestyle changes that can improve the quality of your sleep and improve the results of your snoring treatment. Here are some things that you can try at home to reduce or stop your snoring:
- Treat allergies and asthma
- Lose weight through diet and exercise
- Try to sleep on your side instead of your back
- Avoid drugs and alcohol, especially before bed, as the sedating effects can further relax the muscles in your throat
- Try Breathe Right® strips to improve airflow through the nasal passages.
You may have seen advertisements for mouthpieces available by mail order, but if you want to get good results and learn whether you need treatment for sleep apnea, it is important to get snoring treatment from a doctor.