Nearly half of Americans are believed to make new year’s resolutions, and based on various national surveys most are focused on weight-loss, fitness and diet.
While this health-centric mindset is certainly positive, it’s important to remember your oral health as part of the equation. The beginning of a new year is a great time to restore a bright, healthy smile with cosmetic dentistry or restorative dentistry treatments, and to resolve to better care for your teeth and gums for the benefit of your overall well-being.
Holidays can be Hard on Teeth
The holiday season should have you feeling merry and bright, but it can leave your teeth dull and discolored. As we discussed in a recent post, the span between Thanksgiving and New Year is often filled with foods and beverages that are especially rough on teeth, and the hustle and bustle of the season often makes it difficult to maintain a steady brushing routine.
Early in the new year is a great time to consider dental treatments that can rejuvenate and protect the appearance of your smile:
- Dental checkups and teeth cleanings: Your dental exam includes a thorough cleaning that removes plaque and tartar that brushing alone cannot; a professional cleaning can be especially beneficial after the holidays, when we tend to consume an abundance of foods and beverages that are rich in sugars and acids, which accelerate enamel erosion and contribute to cavities and gum disease
- Teeth whitening: A single teeth whitening treatment conducted by a dentist removes stains that at-home brightening kits can’t correct with repeat use; if your holidays included a fair share of dark-colored foods and drinks (coffee, wine, chocolate, etc.), teeth whitening can restore your smile to its previous luster
- Porcelain veneers: Porcelain veneers can cover deep stains that teeth whitening can’t reverse, and they can also correct minor physical imperfections such as chips, cracks and gaps; porcelain veneers are thin but durable ceramic slivers that are bonded to the surfaces of your teeth, and they provide natural-looking beauty
While these services are a great starting point to address basic dental health needs and minor aesthetic issues, some patients may benefit from more extensive treatment to correct bite problems or restore bite function.
New Year, New Smile, New You
Dental issues such as bite conditions, damaged teeth and missing teeth not only affect the appearance of your smile, they can also adversely impact your self-esteem and quality of life. If you’re considering rehabilitating your smile, the new year is a great time to schedule a consultation for treatments including:
- Invisalign®: This popular teeth-straightening product uses clear, plastic aligners to correct common bite conditions including overbite, crossbite, underbite, crooked teeth, gapped teeth and crowded teeth
- Dental implants: The most durable option for replacing missing teeth, dental implants perform and look like your healthy, natural teeth; dental implants require no dietary changes, and they can be permanent with proper care
- Dentures: Modern dentures, including implant-supported dentures like the Denture Fountain of Youth®, offer superior comfort, function and beauty compared with dentures of generations past; for many patients, dentures remain a great choice to preserve smile aesthetics and bite performance
- Smile makeover: A smile makeover entails a custom blend of cosmetic and restorative dentistry treatments to address multiple dental problems and provide a vibrant, healthy, natural-looking smile
Every year, the skilled cosmetic dentists at Smile Columbia Dentistry make—and keep—the same resolution: To provide patients with beautiful, healthy smiles. If you live in the Columbia, SC, or Augusta, GA, areas and would like to learn more about our comprehensive dental services or schedule an appointment, please call (803) 781-9090.