Post-Operative Dental Implant Care in Columbia, SC
When you get dental implants in Columbia with Dr. Hahn at Smile Columbia Dentistry, you will be given specific post-operative care instructions.
Don’t worry if you can’t remember the instructions, as we will print those out for you, and we will also encourage you to call Smile Columbia Dentistry any time you have a question about post-operative care or if you are experiencing any concerning post-surgery problems like excessive bleeding or ongoing pain (both infrequent occurrences).
Caring for dental implants is relatively easy if you’ve recently had dental implants in Columbia, SC, or are considering having dental implants and want to know what to expect.
Dr. Hahn and his dental implant team will review post-operative care instructions.
On the day you receive the implants:
- Even though you will feel like you want to spit, you must urge the desire to do so. Instead, you may use a tissue to wipe your mouth or swallow your saliva.
- You cannot use a straw as that will create problems requiring you to return to the office.
- If you’re a smoker, you cannot smoke cigarettes after having dental implants in Columbia.
- Keep your fingers and tongue away from the surgical area; even if your hands are sanitized, keep them out of your mouth. Resist the urge to touch or feel the implanted areas.
- Get as much rest as possible.
- Do not work
- Do not exercise
- Eat and drink ONLY the foods and beverages on the list provided at Smile Columbia Dentistry.
- Call the office with any questions or symptoms that continue longer than they should.
- Dr. Hahn will explain how long you should feel pain and tenderness, and if that persists, please let us know.
Spitting, using a straw, smoking, and touching the surgical area can dislodge the blood clot that’s forming and will cause bleeding. Smoking can cause significant problems to the implanted regions and can be disastrous to your health as you recover from this surgery.