Many people living in and around Columbia, South Carolina, struggling with the problem of missing teeth, are choosing to undergo the dental implant procedure because of the numerous benefits that far outweigh the risks. Dental implants in Columbia, SC, are safe, effective, and the most natural looking and feeling of all the restorative dentistry options available today.
While most people with one or more missing teeth make great candidates for dental implants in Columbia, if, for whatever reason, you are not a good candidate, there are other tooth replacement options available, including The Denture Fountain of Youth® (FOY® Dentures). FOY® Dentures are the most advanced and attractive dentures available in Columbia; no one will ever know you have those gorgeous dentures in your mouth unless you tell them. It’s impossible to know what tooth replacement option is best for you unless you reach out to a Columbia, SC restorative dentist and take that first important step by making an appointment.
A Little Bit About the Dental Implant Procedure
Before looking at the many benefits of dental implants, it’s important to understand the dental implant procedure. The placement of dental implants is a surgical procedure, and it typically takes two visits over a several-month period to have implants placed and wait for them to integrate into your jawbone and mouth. Titanium posts that resemble screws are placed into your jaw to serve as replacement tooth roots, and in a process known as “osseointegration,” the implants fuse with your existing bone and tissue.
In some cases, only four implants may be necessary, and those patients will get what is called “All-On-4 Dental Implants.” The beauty of All-On-4 Dental Implants is that only four titanium posts are required to replace a full set of teeth. Traditional dental implants typically require more than four posts, and conventional dental implants in Columbia also require more existing bone density than All-On-4 implants.
A connector known as an “abutment” is placed with the implant after the bond is formed and secure. The abutment’s job is to support a dental crown (or some other restorative option) that is custom-made to look and feel exactly like a natural tooth. If a dental crown is not the perfect option for you, instead, your Columbia restorative dentist may use an implant-supported dental bridge or an implant-supported partial or full denture.
The options are aplenty, and your dentist will explain to you the best route to take based on your goals; your health; the condition of your mouth, teeth, gums, and jawbone; and any other dental issues you face.
Benefits of Dental Implants
There are many benefits of dental implants, with the most obvious one being the correction of the often-embarrassing problem of missing teeth. Missing teeth are not only embarrassing, but it’s also dangerous to the health of your mouth and your general health. Another profound benefit of dental implants in Columbia is renewed confidence. You will no longer have to hide your smile with your hand or worry about what others think about your missing teeth. Dental implants will give you the confidence to laugh, talk, eat, and socialize like you did prior to losing teeth.
Some additional benefits of dental implants include:
- Dental implants look, feel, fit, and function just like natural teeth. You will not have to worry about slippage as you do with some dentures.
- Dental implants are the longest-lasting of all restorative dentistry procedures in Columbia; they may last several decades. In some cases, the dental crown may need to be replaced after 15 years or so, but the titanium post, which is the actual dental implant, will last the rest of your life.
- Dental implants stimulate the jawbone and bone growth to prevent bone loss.
- There are no dietary restrictions with dental implants in Columbia.
- There are no special cleaning instructions once the implants are completely fused into your jaw. Prior to the final stage of implants, you will have to follow your dentist’s instructions for diet and cleaning, but after they are fully fused into your jaw, you’re free to enjoy any food (within reason) and clean them as you would your natural teeth.
- Dental implants help keep the natural look of your face and mouth with no sunken in look that often accompanies tooth loss.
Learn the Benefits of Dental Implants in Columbia, South Carolina
Please contact Smile Columbia Dentistry (803) 781-9090 today to start the journey to a beautiful set of teeth; why wait another day? Or, you may fill out our online contact form with questions or to set an appointment. Dr. Adam Hahn and the team stand ready to transform your smile and your life with advanced dental technology and tooth replacement options that will give you the smile you’ve always wanted.